If you can't say something nice, at least make it funny!

Thanks for visiting Tinfoil Magnolia, a blog about my life, times, marriage, friendships and all the strange things that happen to me and with me. I hope you find something here that will encourage you, inspire you or at the least entertain you. And if it doesn't today, check back tomorrow because, my life? honestly...

Wednesday, May 12

Here's My Token Wine Review

Just thinking about throwing out an almost full bottle of Malbec that I just didn't like. I bought it a few months ago on recommendation from someone who "really likes Argentinian Malbec" and its "earthy flavor". Now, I love red wine, in fact I don't drink much white at all anymore, but this wine? I just do not like it. Maybe I just bought the wrong bottle, I am always willing to admit that when I don't know what I am going for I purchase wine according to how the label appeals to me. I know, less than scientific, but I am a graphic designer after all, I never claimed to be a wine expert. If I can't drink it I should at least have a cool label to look at. And it is a good thing, too, because I have been staring at this label for a while now. Now that I have it home I realize it isn't so much the label design I liked (although it is a cool simple design) it was the fact that they used a really rich, textured paper for the label. I love that.

But the more I look at it the more it mocks me and the only thing I can think of is that "maybe I will cook something and I can use it for a sauce or marinade because I hate to just throw out any kind of food and even though this isn't an EXPENSIVE bottle, I still hate to see it go to waste, surely it wasn't that bad and I should try it again....OH NO it really was that bad, it has to go." And then, I don't throw it out and it sits there on the counter, corked, mocking, and pretentious wearing that stupid silly buttercream frosting colored label with the texture that sucked me into the purchase. Every day I see it and once again, I hate that Malbec. Hate it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a graphic designer (I just wish I was), but I bought a bottle of wine solely for the label. I LOVE Hatch Show Print in Nashville, and collect some of their posters. I'm at a liquor store in Louisville and see a 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon called "The SHOW." The label is a total rip off of Hatch Show Print's style. I'm kind of offended until I read the back of the label: "Inspired by the bold iconic letterpress show posters that Hatch Show Print has enriched us with since 1879. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show." OK, it's a tribute not plagiarism. I bought the bottle. I've never even opened it. The wine might suck, but I've got a great bottle. Life is too short to drink lousy wine, expensive or not. Toss the wine and turn the bottle into a candleholder or something.

    ReplyDelete