If you can't say something nice, at least make it funny!

Thanks for visiting Tinfoil Magnolia, a blog about my life, times, marriage, friendships and all the strange things that happen to me and with me. I hope you find something here that will encourage you, inspire you or at the least entertain you. And if it doesn't today, check back tomorrow because, my life? honestly...

Saturday, October 28

Tradition


It has been almost exactly one year since I've posted here. It's hard for me to believe how time has gone by so quickly. I just turned 50. An entirely new age group. I'm still continuing to deal with how this happened and what it means. 

In the meantime I am trying to get back to writing more, which means blogging more, and one of the best things I ever did, back in the day, was start doing 100 Word Challenge. So, I am going to make a commitment to do this each week.

You can view other responses and the prompt here.


This week's word is "tradition." 


to all a good night

a Santa’s sled
glows red
from the top
of a mountain
inside a metal container.

brown cardboard boxes,
flaps worn, tape exhausted
“books” scrawled in uneven hand.
some neglected, few unread.

the frame of a bed,
source of
an argument
with my mother.
a nod to our only tradition.

clear tape twinkles in the darkness,
slashes of marker advise:
donate, keep, or family piece.
disassembled evergreen; family in pieces.

inside the box
that mountain left undisturbed.
a reprieve from the task at hand.

door rattles shut, money flutters out of my purse
down
            the gravel drive

and out of sight.

2 comments:

  1. This was very melancholy to me, it made me feel kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very melancholy piece, so I guess that's a good thing...reflective of my current state of mind.

    ReplyDelete