If you can't say something nice, at least make it funny!

Thanks for visiting Tinfoil Magnolia, a blog about my life, times, marriage, friendships and all the strange things that happen to me and with me. I hope you find something here that will encourage you, inspire you or at the least entertain you. And if it doesn't today, check back tomorrow because, my life? honestly...

Saturday, September 18

The Arbitration

Today's post is my entry into this week's 100 Word Challenge, hosted by Velvet Verbosity. The 100 Word Challenge is an exercise in which we write exactly 100 words in response to the weekly prompt word. Click the link to read other entries. This week's prompt: "jars". 

He entered the room, twenty minutes late, with coffee. He'd stopped at Starbucks, killed ten minutes chatting up a young barista who had caught his attention.

“You're late” she remarked, tapping her manicured fingers on the mahogany table where he'd tossed his paper.

“Am I?” He smiled, amused at the thought of riling her. Her scent filled the room and reminded him how she'd kept her girly things in bottles and jars, all lined up on the dresser. Wondering how to ask an indelicate question delicately, he sipped his latte and took her in head to toe. “Nice shoes, new?”

6 comments:

  1. not sure I can explain why, but this just made me smile . . . widely. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's what isn't said between these two taht makes this so good. I like the tension. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty minutes late is just ten minutes shy of wearing that coffee. But then he probably knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ya'll! I appreciate the comments. Barbara, I like that it made you smile. This ended up being way over 100 words and I was hoping I didn't lose the feeling in the editing. Lance, I agree, 'preciate it. Patti I think he did. I am glad that came through. And I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and don't ya'll hate when someone shows up late–for anything–with a drink, or coffee or food in hand. You just know if they hadn't stopped they would have been on time!!! Errgh.

    ReplyDelete