If you can't say something nice, at least make it funny!

Thanks for visiting Tinfoil Magnolia, a blog about my life, times, marriage, friendships and all the strange things that happen to me and with me. I hope you find something here that will encourage you, inspire you or at the least entertain you. And if it doesn't today, check back tomorrow because, my life? honestly...

Thursday, September 23

Disparity

Today's post is my entry into this week's 100 Word Challenge, hosted by Velvet Verbosity. The 100 Word Challenge is an exercise in which we write exactly 100 words in response to the weekly prompt word. Click the link to read the other entries–good stuff over there! 
This week's prompt was "greater"


Isn't it supposed to be 
what parents want for their children? 
For them to achieve something 
greater in their lifetime? 

All I want is for you to be proud 
of the way I've lived my life. 
I have struggled to be more 
positive, accepting, and educated. 

But it turns out all you want 
is for me 
to be just like you.

I am always changing and evolving, 
never the same me. 
Yet you remain the same you, 
too stubborn to change. 

You want me 
to stay the same. 
I wish you 
could change. 

In the end 
we are both 
disappointed.

9 comments:

  1. I love your entries to this challenge -- the flow of the words and the images and emotions they evoke. Another great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed and jealous at the effectiveness of the economy of your words. The lack stanza would make Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan proud. In the end we are both disappointed. That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say last stanza.

    You're welcome tinfoil

    ReplyDelete
  4. so powerful--i love the conversation here, and the final stanza is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much more I can say. Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your responses to the 100-word challenges. This one hits close to home for me. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, J! It is personal for me as well. I really enjoy the 100 word challenge and I appreciate the compliments.

    ReplyDelete