If you can't say something nice, at least make it funny!

Thanks for visiting Tinfoil Magnolia, a blog about my life, times, marriage, friendships and all the strange things that happen to me and with me. I hope you find something here that will encourage you, inspire you or at the least entertain you. And if it doesn't today, check back tomorrow because, my life? honestly...

Friday, August 12

If Garth Can Be Shameless, Surely I Can Too

Because of @TlanceB I have gotten dragged into this meme. Maybe it's because of Lance. Or maybe it's because I could never stand for the other kids to be cooler than me. Or uncooler than me. Or perhaps it's just that I hate being left out of anything.

When I was in my first year of college, I lived in a freshman dorm where the rooms were arranged in “suites” of 4 rooms and a large bathroom with several sinks and showers. Each room housed a pair of girls and the suite had a living room for us all to use. It was a pretty nice setup and I have to admit that although I thought my roommate was completely weird, I loved all of my other suitemates. Except eventually that girl from Texas got to us all. Then we hated her. But for the most part we all had fun and got along really well, doing everything together.

The first thing you have to know about me is that I very nearly failed most of my classes that first semester. I have never been very disciplined about homework, mainly because I was never really taught proper study skills. I made good grades, a's and b's with very little effort in high school. So I thought I could continue that into my college experience. Boy was I wrong.

However, I loved the social nature of our setup and loved spending the evenings after dinner hanging out with the girls in my suite. We'd talk about anything and everything. At first it would be the 6 of us, then one by one we'd drift off to bed or to study. I WOULD not go to bed until everyone else did. I couldn't do it. It got to the point where it was a joke. My friend Mary C. would get into bed and say “turn out the light for me, would you?” Yep. I was THAT person.

So I haven't been 'round the bloggy-sphere much lately, I have to admit. My reader is crammed full of catchup reading and I have even been neglecting the blogs that make me laugh hystericallly. I am ashamed. And I hate that I am missing out on my cyber friends lives. I don't know why I haven't been around. Part of me feels like my depression may be coming back. Another part of me thinks it maybe never left. And another part of me says that I need a swift kick in the ass and to just get out and get over it. (maybe that voice is just my mom)

So when I read the other day on Lance's blog that he was doing this 30 day meme I was excited. As I read over the list I realized that these topics were things I would enjoy and could be up for writing about every day. So the list is as follows:

30 Days of Shamelessness
  1. declare your love for an uncool TV show.
  2. look a fool.
  3. eat. Whatever you feel like eating.
  4. waste time.
  5. declare your love for an uncool movie.
  6. act “girly” or “manly” in a way you’d normally avoid.
  7. share your efforts at something you don’t think you do well.
  8. sweat.
  9. expose something messy or dirty you’d usually hide.
  10. declare your love for an uncool band.
  11. dress to show some skin.
  12. share about a health struggle.
  13. speak up about something crap that was done to you.
  14. hold yourself accountable — not guilty — for something crappy you did to someone else.
  15. dress, walk, and act like you know you’re all that.
  16. spend money on a non-necessity or share a financial struggle.
  17. discuss the reality of your work situation.
  18. brag.
  19. share details about a bodily function or fluid.
  20. talk about sex
  21. express a strong feeling.
  22. set a boundary.
  23. air one of your secrets.
  24. share a struggle you have yet to “just get over.”
  25. ask for help.
  26. make a mistake.
  27. express a dissenting opinion.
  28. discuss a failure.
  29. look a fool.
  30. name 3 more ways you can live shamelessly and commit to doing them…
Join in if you like.  Let me know in the comments if you think you might so I can follow along. I think this will be a good way for me to get back into writing and reading all my favorite blogs. I will cover all 30 days, though they may not be 30 days in a row. I shall do my best. Honestly....

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're playing along. I have started my list too. I look forward to reading your confessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you are doing this...go check my wife's blog, Tara, @JenO_Eh (mytornadoalley.wordpress.com) and Abby - http://abbyhasissues.com aka @AbbyHasIssues

    they are doing hilarious posts

    ReplyDelete